Children are an important part of the faith community at Vancouver First. Childrens are always welcome regardless of age. If your child is fifth grade or younger, opportunities for participation are listed below. All of our childcare providers are first aid/CPR certified and have completed a Washington State Patrol Background check. All of the volunteers working with children have also completed a Washington State Patrol background check.
During Worship Service: Children of all ages are welcome in our worship services. There are activity bags available at the back of the sanctuary that include quiet activities for children to do doing service if they wish. Both Sunday morning services feature Children’s Moments. The children will be invited forward during this time to receive a special story or lesson from Pastor David or our liturgist. Following Children’s moments, kids are invited to rejoin their parents in the pews or take advantage of one of the following:
• For infants and toddlers, the nursery is located at the east end of the main lobby. Childcare is available during both worship services and Sunday school for infants and toddlers.
• For older toddlers through kindergartners, Activity Time is provided during each service in the Rainbow Room. The children participate in craft activities as well as have free time for imaginative play. Parents are asked to accompany their children to the Rainbow room (in the nursery wing) and sign-in their children following Children’s Moments.
• Is your child too old for the nursery but too young to sit through the worship service? Children’s Church is held immediately following Children’s Moments at the 8:30 worship service. First through third graders may join us for age-appropriate worship in Hidden Chapel. This worship time includes a story time, prayers, and song. Parents are asked to pick their children up in Hidden Chapel directly following the 8:30 worship.
• Preschool – All preschoolers are invited to join together each Sunday morning at 10:00am. They are using the Grow, Proclaim, Serve! curriculum to grown their faith by leaps and bounds. During May, come join the preschool class as they learn that “the community of believers was one in heart and mind.” (Acts 4:32) We will use crafts, games, stories and more to hear about the community of believers and those first called to be Christians. Come join the fun!
• Children (kindergarten–5th grade) – The elementary kids will learn what it takes to “run the race”. Using Hebrews 12:1-2 as a guide, we will explore how we can ready both our mind and spirit for following Jesus. This will be an active month of stretching, running, cheering and learning as we sprint toward the goal line. We will all cap of the year of Sunday school by participating in the church’s Fit ‘n Fun at First event on June 1.
• Club 45 -All incoming 4th and 5th graders are invited to join Club 45 for our first outing of summer, a Picture Scavenger Hunt, on Sunday, June 16, from 10:00am – noon. Come with us to follow the clues and pose for pictures with little known Vancouver landmarks to prove that you guessed correctly. Let Elizabeth know if you and your friends are planning to attend.
Kid’s News: This is a monthly newsletter highlighting activities meant for the kids at First Church. Click Here for the latest issue of Kid’s News.