From painting at local outreach centers, cooking in the Share soup kitchen, or walking children to school on the Walking School Bus, the members of Vancouver First are involved in outreach throughout the community and the regional Washington area. We would love for you to join us in as many of these opportunities as you can. If you are interested or have questions about any of the activities that you see listed please contact Gary in the church office.
- Scrip: To help fund our outreach activities, we sell scrip gift cards. Each month you can order gift cards from hundreds of vendors. You will receive the full face value on all SCRIP cards that you purchase. In addition, the business will donate a percentage of the sale back to the church for outreach. It is a Win-Win situation. Use SCRIP whenever you shop. The order form and a list of all available vendors can be found in the following link: For more information on Scrip, please click here.
- SHARE lunches: Each Thursday for the past thirty years, teams from First Church cooks and serves a lunch at Share House. If you would like to help with this once a month commitment, we can find a team for you to join. No experience necessary!
- Courtyard Village Apartments – First Church was very involved with the residents of Courtyard Village Apartments. We cooked and delivered almost 300 meals, collected hundreds of stuffed animals, moving & cleaning supplies, and food items, granted close to $45,000 to residents for new housing, and so much more.
- Our congregation donated over 500 pairs of socks to the Vancouver School District Back-To-School Readiness event. School supplies were also donated to both this event as well as to our partner schools (Washington & King elementary and Discovery Middle School).
- Fit ‘n Fun at First – Our annual 5k run/walk and 1k fun run for the kids, along with the carnival, was a fun day for the church and our neighbors.
- During a Mission Possible event, we made 200 “corner bags” to be handed out to the homeless; our congregation prepared 170 backpacks for the Share backpack program, ensuring that kids in our partner schools would have a weekend’s worth of food to share with their families. We made “thank you” gifts and handmade cards for all of the teachers and staff at Washington Elementary School; we installed shelving storage for Washington School’s Resource Center as well. We also brought months’ worth of hygiene supplies and tied 30 fleece blankets for our friends at the WHO Shelter, as well as 25 gallons of homemade soup for them to warm up with at dinner time.
- WHO Shelter – Volunteering at the St. Paul’s WHO Shelter. Thank you to all of those volunteers that brought food, and served many homeless in our community.
- Trunk or Treat – Over 500 munchkins came through in costume, playing games and collecting candy from our congregation. Always a great time, regardless of weather.
- Backpacks for Veterans: Backpacks used by middle and high school students are the perfect size to carry the veteran’s belongings. Instead of throwing your old backpack away or stuffing it in the closet, donate it for homeless veterans in the area. If you have a backpack to donate, please bring it to the church lobby on Sunday mornings.