From painting at local outreach centers, cooking in the Share soup kitchen, or walking children to school on the Walking School Bus, the members of Vancouver First are involved in outreach throughout the community and the regional Washington area. We would love for you to join us in as many of these opportunities as you can. If you are interested or have questions about any of the activities that you see listed please contact Elizabeth in the church office.
The listing below offers opportunities for you to share with those in our community who may not have a Christmas like we remember from our childhood. Please take a moment this week to count your blessings and offer to share with another this holiday season.
Helping during Advent is as easy as ABC:
A) The Giving Tree provides gifts for families in our community that need a little extra help this holiday season. Pick a tag from the Giving Tree in the church lobby and purchase a gift for someone. The gifts need to be returned to the church by Sunday, December 15. Organization your strong point? We are also looking for people to help sort the donated gifts, get items ready for our wrapping party, and meet the families as they come to receive their Christmas items. If you are interested in helping with the giving tree in any way, please contact Elizabeth in the church office (693-5881 or email@example.com).
B) Bring some warmth to someone through our HUGS tree. We decorate this tree with Hats, Underwear, Gloves, and Socks. The donated items are then given out just before Christmas.
C) We will once again be providing food boxes for families in our community during Christmas. You can help by donating needed food items (check for tags in the lobby); putting the food boxes together on Saturday, December 14, at 10:00AM; or delivering food boxes in our community. If you know of a family in need of a box, please contact the church office to get them on the list.
We’re having a party!
That’s right – we are having a gift wrapping party. Come enjoy the fun as we wrap the huge pile of gifts that are collected for the giving tree. The party will be on Monday, December 16, starting at 9:00am. Whether you are a master wrapper or a novice, with almost 200 gifts, we need all hands on deck to make Christmas special for Clark County families.
- Scrip: To help fund our outreach activities, we sell scrip gift cards. Each month you can order gift cards from hundreds of vendors. You will receive the full face value on all SCRIP cards that you purchase. In addition, the business will donate a percentage of the sale back to the church for outreach. It is a Win-Win situation. Use SCRIP whenever you shop. The next deadline is October 13 (you will receive the cards on October 20). The order form and a list of all available vendors can be found below. For more information on Scrip, please click here.
- SHARE lunches: Each Thursday for the past thirty years, teams from First Church cooks and serves a lunch at Share House. If you would like to help with this once a month commitment, we can find a team for you to join. No experience necessary!
- Backpacks for Veterans: Backpacks used by middle and high school students are the perfect size to carry the veteran’s belongings. Instead of throwing your old backpack away or stuffing it in the closet, donate it for homeless veterans in the area. If you have a backpack to donate, please bring it to the church lobby on Sunday mornings.
Recent Past Events:
- Trunk or Treat was again our biggest event of the year! Over 500 munchkins came through in costume, playing games and collecting candy from our congregation. Always a great time, regardless of weather, this year we were blessed with beautiful sunshine and laughter.
- Fit ‘n Fun at First was a great success! Our first ever 5k run/walk and 1k fun run for the kids, along with the carnival, was a fun day for the church and our neighbors. Look for us to bring this event back next year!
- Literary Night at Washington Elementary: We joined the Washington Elementary community during their “Books and Bugs” Literary Night on June 10. We cooked and served dinner to the school’s children and their families. What a great way to end the school year!
- Math Night at King Elementary School – We served about 150 people dinner and helped with math activities for King Elementary School’s Math Night. What a great way to build community with our neighbors!
- WHO Shelter – We finished two successful weeks of volunteering at the St. Paul’s WHO Shelter. Thank you to all of those volunteers that brought food, and served on our 48 shifts during those weeks.
- Science Night at Washington School – We served about 300 people dinner and helped with science activities for Washington School’s Science Night. What a great way to build community with our neighbors!
- Collection for Crestline Elementary – We collected $7000 in support of Crestline School following the devastating fire that destroyed their building. Thanks to your generous contributions we were able to present to the check to Carol Fenstermacher, Director of Community Relations at Evergreen School District Foundation, during services on Sunday March 3.