From painting at local outreach centers, cooking in the Share soup kitchen, or walking children to school on the Walking School Bus, the members of Vancouver First are involved in outreach throughout the community and the regional Washington area. We would love for you to join us in as many of these opportunities as you can. If you are interested or have questions about any of the activities that you see listed please contact Elizabeth in the church office.
During Children’s Moments on March 9, each child will receive a special Lenten Calendar. This calendar has daily activities for Lent with suggested donation amounts for each activity. All monies collected will be donated to Evergreen Habitat for Humanity to help build a house in our community. If you are not here on the 9th, stop by the office or get your copy here.
- Scrip: To help fund our outreach activities, we sell scrip gift cards. Each month you can order gift cards from hundreds of vendors. You will receive the full face value on all SCRIP cards that you purchase. In addition, the business will donate a percentage of the sale back to the church for outreach. It is a Win-Win situation. Use SCRIP whenever you shop. The next deadline is March 16 (you will receive the cards on March 23). The order form and a list of all available vendors can be found below. For more information on Scrip, please click here.
- SHARE lunches: Each Thursday for the past thirty years, teams from First Church cooks and serves a lunch at Share House. If you would like to help with this once a month commitment, we can find a team for you to join. No experience necessary!
- Backpacks for Veterans: Backpacks used by middle and high school students are the perfect size to carry the veteran’s belongings. Instead of throwing your old backpack away or stuffing it in the closet, donate it for homeless veterans in the area. If you have a backpack to donate, please bring it to the church lobby on Sunday mornings.
Recent Past Events:
- During Mission Possible in January, we made 200 “corner bags” to be handed out to the homeless; our congregation prepared 170 backpacks for the Share backpack program, ensuring that kids in our partner schools would have a weekend’s worth of food to share with their families. We made “thank you” gifts and handmade cards for all of the teachers and staff at Washington Elementary School; we installed shelving storage for Washington School’s Resource Center as well. We also brought months’ worth of hygiene supplies and tied 30 fleece blankets for our friends at the WHO Shelter, as well as 25 gallons of homemade soup for them to warm up with at dinner time.
- WHO Shelter – We finished a successful week of volunteering at the St. Paul’s WHO Shelter. Thank you to all of those volunteers that brought food, and served on our 24 shifts during those weeks.
- We had more than 15 people in our Sanctuary wrapping 225 gifts for Christmas this year. We were blessed to 110 individuals with Christmas gifts this year.
- Trunk or Treat was again our biggest event of the year! Over 500 munchkins came through in costume, playing games and collecting candy from our congregation. Always a great time, regardless of weather, this year we were blessed with beautiful sunshine and laughter.
- Fit ‘n Fun at First was a great success! Our first ever 5k run/walk and 1k fun run for the kids, along with the carnival, was a fun day for the church and our neighbors. Look for us to bring this event back next year!
- Literary Night at Washington Elementary: We joined the Washington Elementary community during their “Books and Bugs” Literary Night on June 10. We cooked and served dinner to the school’s children and their families. What a great way to end the school year!